Kilfenora Tidy Towns
After a gap of some years, a new Kilfenora Tidy Towns team was formed, and has been busy at work since the Spring of 2021 on a range of projects to improve the appearance of the village.
- Clearing rubbish from various roads around Kilfenora that had been dumped or discarded by antisocial drivers, and also cleaning up the graveyard at Inchovea – over 30 families participated in this Spring Clean and 1220kg of litter was collected!
- Creating or restoring flower beds in the village, including at the entrance to the Cathedral.
- Weeding sections of paving in the Square
- Filling various recycled containers and bought planters with flowers, particularly around KIlfenora Square
- Creating new beds on approach roads to Kilfenora, for example at Kennedy’s Cross and around Fáilte Kilfenora signs
- Developing a biodiversity trail at St Fachtnan’s Holy Well, including planted areas and restored seating benches, thereby enhancing its attraction for both visitors and the local community.
The Spring planting was aided by a grant received as part of making a Tidy Towns entry. The later work was aided by a Community Support Scheme grant received through Clare County Council
One objective of the team’s work was to encourage participation by members of the community – particular highlights have been the ‘Adopt a flower bed’ scheme and the massive turnout of families to work on the Spring Clean.
A second objective was to employ local skills, even given a limited budget. Notable in this respect was the involvement of local horticulturalists Lieke Schonemann and Achim Riffel in providing design advice. The RSS team also made a contribution.
Additionally a local stonemason taught the team how to make stone walls, an example of meeting a third objective for this first year of re-entering the scheme, namely for it to be a learning exercise.
Follow the Team on facebook and see many pictures and video of their work so far – a few highlights are shown at the foot of this page.
Better still, if you live locally, please join in future projects and clean-ups, and have fun while doing good.